If you have been keeping up on our blog, then you already know that your Fort Collins home inspection is one of the most important steps in the home buying journey. Buying a home is a very emotional process, which is why we see so many people make the mistake of underestimating certain issues that are actually very serious. That is why our experienced inspector, who proudly serves all of Northern Colorado, has come up with this list of the top 5 issues to look out for during your inspection:
- Foundation Problems- Foundation problems are nothing to scoff at. They can be incredibly expensive and difficult to repair.
- Roof Issues- The cost of a new roof could range from $15,000 to $150,000, depending on a variety of factors. Your inspector will give you an idea of the level of damage present, as well as the life expectancy of your roof.
- Outdated Electrical System- If the home that you are buying was built before 1960, it may have an outdated electrical system that doesn’t meet current codes.
- Water Damage- You may not think that a water stain on the ceiling is a big deal, and it may not be, but there is a chance that it could be an indication of a damaged plumbing system or a roof that needs repaired.
- Furnace Problems- Here in Northern Colorado, we depend on our furnaces for at least 7 months out of the year. The bottom line is you need yours to work. If the furnace is broken beyond repair, you could be looking at having to spend at least $6,000 on a brand new one.